A Beefsteak Tomato is a large fleshy variety that we vine ripen in a Greenhouse to produce the fullest flavor and quality of a great eating tomato. This large tomato will have the distinctive bright green stem (calyx) still attached. Choose them at a red or pink color, with no bruising or excessive softness. Store on the kitchen counter at room temperature and consume at a bright red color. Avoid putting your tomatoes in cold refrigerated temperatures as this will lower the flavor.
Storage, Ripening (if any) and Handling
- Temperature: 55-70 F, 12.8-21 C. No Mist.
- Typical Shelf life: 7-14 days.
- Highly sensitive to freezing and chilling injury.
- Do not ship below 55 F, 12.8 C.
- Humidity higher than 85-88% will encourage decay.
- Continues to ripen after harvest.
Early Spanish explorers found tomatoes in Mexico and brought them back to Spain. Then botanists recognized them as cousins to belladonna and deadly nightshade and pronounced them poisonous.